Thursday, August 2, 2007

Connections

Has God ever taken you somewhere and then you realized He had many purposes for you going? That's how I felt about Kenya this time. One of those purposes was for me to meet a group traveling with World Connex. We met them at High Ridge School and tec Center. We knew ahead of time that we would meet to travel together to the Safari, but little did I know God had His own special purposes for me.


Once we introduced ourselves we realized that we were all connected.

1)Brooke was their trip leader and she was an intern for Buckner last year and had travelled with us to Busia.

2)Victor works for World Connex (in Dallas) and is on the Board of Buckner, but also attends Concord, which is down the street from my church.

3)I went to high school with the brother of Pastor Clark, who is from Dallas and pastor in Austin. I knew the former pastor at Rev. Clark's church and a student at UT who attends the church came from the church where my father is a pastor.


But the connection that has birthed an on going relationship is the one with me,Victor and my father. Our common interest is getting more African Americans involved in missions. Whether it is by church, vocations, individuals, pastors, giving, going, praying - however the Lord leads we know that we are not well represented in missions. Part of it is a lack of education on our role in missions, especially in Africa.


This connection also brought an awareness to me from Victor- that what I did in Kenya, which was more than just sewing, was really about economic development. Part of the ladies knowing about the love of Christ from me, is knowing He would send someone to help with the practical parts of their lives. They needed a plan on how to make money for their basic needs. I can now see that a simple plan is coming together than can be understood in any language.


I was also reminded that in my own spirit I had caught hold of the plan presented by our pastor, Dr. Tony Evans on New Year Eve.



Start where you are

Use what you have

Do what you can do


This sudden awareness opened my eyes that I had been working this plan all along and the result was going to Kenya, using my teaching and sewing skills and bringing supplies to women who could not otherwise afford it. These supplies can now help them "start where they........"

No comments: