Thursday, August 2, 2007

Super + Natural = Miracle







Over the last few weeks I have heard this phrase in conversations and sermons. I saw this with my own eyes when we visited the New Hope Babies Home in Nairobi. We heard several missionaries talk about it, but we had no idea what we were really going to see.
As we entered the gate we saw what looked like 1- 3 year olds on their way to the play area. After going on a tour and being told of the process by which these abandoned and orphaned children go from HIV positive to HIV negative, we know that a miracle is involved. God used the natural medical knowledge about antibodies that he gave men, to bring about a super example of His miracles. Out of 900 babies only 50 have died. That’s the short version.

What I want to talk about is our day with the kids. During the tour we saw children from 4 days to 3 years old. We saw pictures of kids up to 7 years old who were still HIV negative who had been adopted out from the Home. After the tour, we scrubbed up and headed outside to be with the kids we saw when we entered the gate to the home. They were enjoying the sunshine and we joined in on the fun. I saw a boy and a girl and wagon. I put them in the wagon and pulled them around the play area. I watched as they leaned back and began to grin. After 10 minutes I thought “I'm sure they have had enough”, but when I stopped the wagon they both started flailing their arms for me to keep going. At first I laughed and then 30 minutes later I found myself still pulling that wagon. I also watched Kristen and Melissa as children flooded them to be picked up and held. It was awesome to see all these children happy and healthy. The workers appeared to love their jobs and made sure that all visitors treated the kids like any other kids. We were told that positive and negative children are kept together and we would not know which ones had been infected by HIV. The truth is we didn't need to know. All we needed to know is we were there to show them love.


After a couple of hours of sunshine the workers led us back into the home where we helped with the rest of their routine - Wash their hands, sit at the table, pray for the food and eat lunch. As with typical 2 year olds, some food landed in the mouth and some on clothes and the table. Since it was close to 1:00 pm the children were then taken to the restroom where 2 workers cleaned their soiled diapers, put them on the potties, put on fresh diapers and had us put the children in their various beds for their afternoon nap. That was just in the class that I worked with, which had about 12 kids. Kristen and Melissa were in another area doing the same thing. I don't remember how many children are able to stay at the home at one time but this was another job that I saw where love and commitment was the key.
I think the pictures speak volumes. Enjoy the little miracles we encountered in Kenya.

No comments: